Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Getting Ready

Traveling during the holidays is always hectic. There are so many places to be and poeple to see. Having a 3 year old, Christmas is a major deal. So, Christmas was full of things to do. The problem with that is, right after Christmas it was right back to work.

Thanks to my husband, all of the laundry was done and ready for me to do last minute packing as soon as I could get around to it. He also was great enough to clean all the junk and car seat out of my car. I got the oil changed, new tire, new windshield wipers, everything was going according to plan and on time. This should be a good sign, right?

At 12:45 am on Wednesday, December 29th (the day we are leaving for the trip) I received a text message from my sister. She and her boyfriend had just broken up and he was not going on the trip. At this point she wasn't sure if she wanted to go either. This was scramble time. I REFUSED to panic. I called for Shane, told him what happened and we began to brainstorm. There was no way we could keep to the travel schedule after this kink was thrown into the plans. We both had to work that day and I still hadn't packed.

I began looking online at the maps. We determined that we could make it the 6 hours to Roanoke, VA and would need to stop there at a hotel to rest for approximately 3 hours. I booked it. Right after, my sister said they would still pay for their potion of the trip, which lifted a huge weight off my shoulders. She wasn't sure if she would still like to go. I told her she would have until noon to decide.

After arriving to work that day, I attempted to contact other friends and family members to see if anyone would go with us, just so we could have help with the drive and so we could stay on schedule. Unfortunately, no one was able to make the trip on that short of a notice. Now I WAS begining to panic.

Luckily, before the noon deadline, I spoke with my sister who did, in fact, decide to go on the trip. She asked if she could bring a friend, Justin. I knew Justin, and was comfortable with him, so I said sure.

Now, back to changing the plans. I cancelled the hotel room in Roanoke since we wouldn't need to stay. Instead, I looked at the trip maps again and found a spot that we would hit just before our first scheduled stop. I made a reservation with the plans to get the room for the sole purposes of showering, a short nap and breakfast. At thr rate, it was an amazing idea.

I got home after work at approximately 5:45. My sister, Aerin and Justin were waiting for me. I ran in and got packed, loaded the car and we left my house around 7 pm. Only 1 hour behind schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment